Welcome to Reception
Hello and welcome back after our Easter break. We are now starting the first part of our Summer term and are excited to begin our new Topic with you. This half term we are going to be learning all about minibeasts, we have lots of opportunities to explore non-fiction books, look for minibeasts outside and build our own minibeast homes.
This half term we have lots of things to look forward to including our trips to the library, farm and we are also hoping to visit Eccles mosque.
Here are a couple of key dates you will need to remember
- Our library visit is Wednesday 20th April
- School is closed on Monday 2nd May for a bank holiday
- Our school trip to Cockfield’s Farm is Wednesday 27th April.
- We finish for half term on Friday 27th May.
We are still looking for parent volunteers to come to the farm with us. If you would like to volunteer, please let us know as soon as possible.
A typical day in Reception
In Reception, we follow a fairly rigid routine which supports the children in their confidence and happiness in the setting. Each morning begins with registration, putting bags away and hanging up their coats.
We meet on the carpet, greet each other and have a little song together.
We have our phonics session each morning and are learning to recognise new sounds, decode tricky words and build words when attempting to write our own simple sentences.
Following on from this, the children independently access all areas of both the indoor and outdoor learning environments where challenges are set up to encourage them to learn new skills and consolidate the skills they are already learning. We also have some 'Funky Finger' activities set up which are designed to help the children build up the strength in their hands and improve their hand eye co-ordination.
Snack will be taken during the morning session, consisting of a piece of fruit or vegetable and milk or water.
The children will then have lunch in the dinner hall under the care of our lovely lunchtime staff. Please remember that Universal free school meals are available for Reception aged children which could save you money at home and put a nice warm dinner into the tummies of your children during the colder months.
In the afternoon we have registration again and another teaching session. After our lesson, the children can again access all areas of outdoor and indoor learning environments. We are very aware that this is a long day for some of our younger children so we have some lovely calming areas in the classroom for the children to go to these are; our Calm Corner and Thrive areas.
At the end of the day we gather on the carpet with our coats and books bags for a story or song and say our class prayer. We celebrate new learning, share news and one lucky individual is chosen as our star of the day and will receive a dip in our prize box.
Key messages to remember for Reception families;
* School starts at 9 am and ends at 3.10 pm. Our classroom door shuts promptly at 9am and any late children must go to the office where they will receive a late mark.
* Home work will be sent our on a Friday - this will consist of three tasks - The orange talk book to be complete by your child over the weekend, this should be a 10 minute task to complete. Their Maths homework will be given out via Math seeds and your children will also be sent home with a new reading book and with access to MYON where they can complete reading tasks and comprehension quizzes online.
* Reading books are changes on Tuesdays and Friday's. We encourage you to read a minimum of at least three times a week at home to help to build your child's phonics skills and story telling vocabulary.
* Please continue to log into Tapestry to see what your child is learning in school, we will also discuss what your child's next steps within the comments on Tapestry.
* Keep in touch, if you need any extra support of if you have any questions about anything we are here to support you.
Educational Websites to use at home:
Reading websites -
* The website www.lovemybooks.co.uk has fantastic reading activities linked to popular books which are suitable for 3-5 year olds. The website is free to access and has art and craft activities and audio stories for your child to listen to.
* The website Oxford Owl has a free eBook library for you to access at home. You will need to make an account to access this library, but it is free to do so. There are over 1000 children's books in the eBook library for you to look at. Follow this link to view this online eBook library now. https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page/
* Remember to use the website https://mathseeds.co.uk/ to practise your Maths skills at home. Each child in Reception has their own individual login that has been posted to you on Tapestry,
* Remember to log on to the website MYON at https://www.myon.co.uk/login/ to listen to stories being ready to you online. Each child's individual login has been sent to you on Tapestry.
* the web link https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/ will take you to an official Read Write Inc website which provides videos of how parents can support RWI learning and advises them on how to say the pure sounds correctly to support early reading.
* www.phonicsplay.co.uk has lots of free online phonics games to help your children to practise their blending skills.
Computing skills -
* Mini mash - all of Reception pupils have had their mini mash log in information sent home. Mini mash is a website where children can explore their computing skills on a child friendly fun website.
Maths websites -
* The website Top Marks has free online games suitable for Early Years children. The games will help with number recognition, counting practise and also simple addition and subtraction problem solving https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/3-5-years/counting
* The website splashlearn has free Maths games for you to access at home. The games link directly to the Maths curriculum taught in school https://uk.splashlearn.com/maths-skills/year-1?adCampaign=11001994752&adGroup=107605616563&adTag=maths%20games%20for%20reception&adID=460799935895&ipad_blocker_disabled=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvP6ABhCjARIsAH37rbRH-1aGvVxtjMjnELz-YEdLsnaWyLgefH9Dd6IuUbAfwBSLpNJxcCAaAtlDEALw_wcB
We wish you all good health and look forward to another fun filled term in Reception.
Stay safe everybody,
Early Years Lead